"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

Do You Have A Question?

If you have a question not covered in this blog feel free to send it to me at my email address, i.e. "snow" dot here "covered" dot here "bamboo" AT symbol here "gmail" dot here "com"

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Ideally, your self-defense will never get physical. Avoiding the situation and running or talking you way out - either of these is a higher order of strategy than winning a physical battle." - Wise Words of Rory Miller, Facing Violence: Chapter 7: after, subparagraph 7.1:medical

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Reader's of this Blog

Search This Blog

Do we have it right, "kiotsuke?"

Kiotsuke as we tend to define it from the Western perspective is "attention." You often hear it in the training hall to call everyone to attention after lining up, etc. facing the "kamiza, shoman, tokunoma, etc." In today's studies I found the word "kiotsukete." This one has "te" on the end. Not as a suffix, etc. but as to additional lettering.

This in itself is not that critical but then again it begs the question as to whether folks in the training hall are using it correctly. In the form, Kiotsukete, it means something a bit different. It means "be careful" or "take care" or it refers to anyone who might face some kind of danger. Ohhh, that doesn't mean "attention" now does it but is it possible there are two words with the only difference as to spelling in English?

As I do the research I found only one set of characters, i.e. kanji, that speak mostly to paying attention or coming to attention: 注意を払う pay attention !!! But, when I translate it into English, take with a grain of salt here, I get "Chuiwoharau." What the ....? When I punch in the characters above and listen to the Japanese spoken word I do not get kiotsuke or kiotsukete.

注意 - caution, attention, warning, heed, regard, being careful, advice
気持ち - feeling, mood, sensation, temper
注意を払う pay attention !!! good one
注目  - attention, notice, observation
アテンション - attention
着目 - attention
耳目 - attention, eye and ear

So, if I were to take the third one down in bold as correct for attention or pay attention then I would say it is not kiotsuke or kiotsukete. I can also say that the term and meaning may have evolved from a military influence because even in a traditional dojo my suspicion is they don't assume a position that is a military form of attention stance.

If I were to make some assumptions as to the use of this term in a dojo I might think that it means one who practices a system such as karate-jutsu must also be careful or take care or as a notice to the practitioners that this discipline is one that places them in harm's, danger, way so be careful, take care or remain diligently aware of all things at all times. I would then make another assumption that it might be telling the practitioners to focus on training and leave all else in the dressing room for this is a dangerous endeavor requiring your full attention, care and caution in applying knowledge and technique.

This may not be a short, terse and precise definition/meaning but it does cover a lot of the more philosophical aspects of the way, yes? Maybe? Comments?

While we are on terms and usage, does sayonara truly mean "good bye?" ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment