"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

Do You Have A Question?

If you have a question not covered in this blog feel free to send it to me at my email address, i.e. "snow" dot here "covered" dot here "bamboo" AT symbol here "gmail" dot here "com"

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Ideally, your self-defense will never get physical. Avoiding the situation and running or talking you way out - either of these is a higher order of strategy than winning a physical battle." - Wise Words of Rory Miller, Facing Violence: Chapter 7: after, subparagraph 7.1:medical

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Reader's of this Blog

Search This Blog

Do you have a plan when you mentor martial artists in your dojo?

I have witnessed and actually performed instruction to practitioners with no plan, procedure, or process but to "shoot from the hip" when I walk onto the dojo floor. I was using bad form, bad instruction, and bad etiquette.

I have discovered that many of those dojo that seem to provide knowledge and experience in martial arts usually follow this way of passing that knowledge and experience on to the deshi. It is a wonder that these types of efforts continue and flourish.

I can say that my luck, my karma, was good when running a dojo. I actually started to see and hear things that led me to research and change my ways. I only had this epiphany because I had a lot of experience teaching Marines where you didn't step in front of a group without a plan, procedure and process.

In my work today, in the technology field, I am seeing a greater misdirection than ever before in my career. It is driven by customer and technological requirements. Both are now driven by a need for instant gratification, instant profit, and instant need to technological bells and whistles. What do I mean?

I mean that our humanity is far outdistanced by technology and our humanity has no chance to evolve and catch up with technology. The next best greatest technological bell and whistle pushes humans into a need to get the latest and greatest and bestest of technological wonders. It runs us instead of us running it.

That same technology pushes us to ignore the natural order of nature and humanity to achieve things that seem to be good and end up being not so good and thusly discarded quickly.

We tend to put the cart before the horse. My work is pushing out services with out a plan, procedures, and processes. It looks great, it comes quickly solving the instant gratification needs driven by those services and technologies. It then fails to go the distance when services in support of those services fails to deliver simply because no one plans, implements procedures and processes to support that model.

In the dojo the same thing happens. Practitioners push hard to get to the so called good stuff. They allow ego and pride and the excitement of such things as MMA to say in their perceptively governed mind, "Hey, I gotta be just like them and I gotta be them right now!"

It then promotes lessons and training and practices that quickly gloss over the fundamental principles of martial systems and those basics along with things like kata to get to the good stuff. The good stuff is simply a few combinations that may or may not win a competitive event to either gain fame and glory fast or hit that wall where many, many just quit.

The moral of this post, there is no short cut, no instant gratification that will last, and no way to become skilled in a martial art regardless of its classification, i.e. sport or combative.

No comments:

Post a Comment