"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

Do You Have A Question?

If you have a question not covered in this blog feel free to send it to me at my email address, i.e. "snow" dot here "covered" dot here "bamboo" AT symbol here "gmail" dot here "com"

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Ideally, your self-defense will never get physical. Avoiding the situation and running or talking you way out - either of these is a higher order of strategy than winning a physical battle." - Wise Words of Rory Miller, Facing Violence: Chapter 7: after, subparagraph 7.1:medical

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Reader's of this Blog

Search This Blog

Was the Ken-po Goku-i actually a very important document in the development of Isshinryu?

Click for Large View!
Reading a statement on the web concerning the value of the ken-po goku-i or the "Secrets of the Fist Way," taken from the Bubishi, is reportedly what is stated, a very important document to Tatsuo Sensei's efforts to create his own system of Okinawan karate-do. Is this true?

Now, as to the source of this statement I have to say that there is no reason I can fathom to refute this statement yet in my efforts to learn and understand I can not say emphatically that this statement is true/truth. Why?

In all the efforts to research the matter there has been absolutely nothing said, written, documented, passed down, passed along to anyone, American or Okinawan, that states its purpose and value to karate-do. We can infer a lot from our studies yet nothing to verify, validate, or explain it or its purpose other than this one statement.

Andy Sloane Sensei who is stationed on Okinawa and active in Isshinryu had this to say about my question: "This is not anything I've been able to come across in my research, and there are precious few senior Okinawan 1st-gen students left who even MIGHT be able to answer this.  It appears, though I could be wrong, that Tatsuo Sensei did not give out silk diplomas until after the Agena dojo opened in late 1957.  I would just have to guess that Tatsuo Sensei felt it was important enough to give it to them so much so that he had an English-language translation drafted by someone to assist in their understanding of the deeper meanings of their training. ... and ... he also stated as to the English-language translation ... y the way, you do know that the kanji for the precept 'The body should be able to change directions at any time' does not actually say that, right? Likewise, the kanji does not say 'The time to strike is when the opportunity presents itself.'"

Sloane Sensei has dedicated a lot of energy and effort to clarify various teachings of the Isshinryu system so I do consider him and expert in Isshinryu History, customs, and courtesies.

Personally, I find the ken-po goku-i, in its original/exact English form with Kanji, a valuable document in many things not just karate-do. I find its connections to the I Ching and other Ancient Chinese Books, etc. of even greater value. If nothing else it has taught me to seek out things way outside the box for both martial practice and other aspects of living this life of human being.

Now directly answering the original question, no one can say that it was or was not a very important document in the development of Isshinryu. We can theorize all we want yet Tatsuo Sensei is gone and since he cannot answer the question and his son, Kichero, cannot answer the question either then there is NO ONE who can validate the statement.

I can say if I wish, "The Ken-po Goku-i was directly responsible for influencing Tatsuo Sensei in his development and practice of Isshinryu!" I can also say, "The Ken-po Goku-i was NOT directly responsible for influencing Tatsuo Sensei in any way, form, fashion, etc., in his development and practice of Isshinryu!" Either way, can't prove the statement as either true or false, period!

No comments:

Post a Comment