"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

Do You Have A Question?

If you have a question not covered in this blog feel free to send it to me at my email address, i.e. "snow" dot here "covered" dot here "bamboo" AT symbol here "gmail" dot here "com"

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Ideally, your self-defense will never get physical. Avoiding the situation and running or talking you way out - either of these is a higher order of strategy than winning a physical battle." - Wise Words of Rory Miller, Facing Violence: Chapter 7: after, subparagraph 7.1:medical

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Reader's of this Blog

Search This Blog

Why do we use the Japanese terms in karate?


I have often wondered why this particular part of western karate training exists. I already know that I tend to use terms, characters, and ideograms of Japanese origins to help teach and explain various aspects of the system I practice with emphasis on learning and understanding the culture and belief systems of our heritage to the martial arts. 

It also may be the mystique associated with samurai, marital arts from Asia and a form or type of connection that humans gravitate toward naturally and instinctually. It may give a sense of belonging to a group or tribe that is built on instinctual survival of the human condition. The question here is, "does this actually add value to teaching, learning and practice/application? It depends.

It is also a question regarding the use of the so called traditional karate uniform. The uniform as well is not truly traditional in the sense that connects back historically because it is barely a hundred years old, maybe even less since Okinawan's didn't embrace it completely until maybe the forties or fifties, 1940's/1950's etc. Again it connects us.

I use terms and kanji, etc. characters along with the varied meanings to help make a connection to the cultures and beliefs historically connected to the system I practice. I also use them as a means to teach other more esoteric things necessary to balance out the physical with the spiritual. I don't require memorization of such terms but rather a sense of their importance if one desires the full spectrum of martial arts connectivity, both present and past. 

Whether a practitioner uses Uraken or simply "back fist" to explain the use of the back fist in defense is not a matter of great importance. Requiring such knowledge to make things sound "martial or Asian" is not that important. Knowing when, how and why it is used is more important. 

Why I tend to gravitate toward terms that would appear more philosophical in nature is because I feel the connection to the who, when, where and why of the martial system I practice is more relevant and that speaks to things like avoidance and deescalation over using a back fist to some person's face seems important over knowing a language of terms that often are not accurate or correct. 

If one uses them and does so with some semblance of accuracy is ok but I feel getting mired down with this stands at a lower level of importance. This is why I tend to keep such things documented as a reference rather than trying to impress my ego with the ability to recite martial arts Japanese/Okinawan/Chinese terms and characters. 

In the end it is just fun to do as long as it is taken with a grain of skepticism unless you are born, raised and are Japanese, Okinawan or Chinese. 

In the end I would rather master an understanding of how to properly apply martial arts in its full spectrum over knowing terms and characters, etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment