"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

Do You Have A Question?

If you have a question not covered in this blog feel free to send it to me at my email address, i.e. "snow" dot here "covered" dot here "bamboo" AT symbol here "gmail" dot here "com"

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Ideally, your self-defense will never get physical. Avoiding the situation and running or talking you way out - either of these is a higher order of strategy than winning a physical battle." - Wise Words of Rory Miller, Facing Violence: Chapter 7: after, subparagraph 7.1:medical

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Reader's of this Blog

Search This Blog

What is your recommendation for a good, solid, self defense system, course, or school?

I cannot make a good recommendation. There is a source for learning about SD and its many facets. I could recommend books and web sites and blogs but I cannot truly recommend any system, course or school out there that I am aware of yet I would highly recommend after reading all my recommended reading stuff you find where Marc MacYoung and Rory Miller, to name just two, are giving SD seminars, etc. and go take their stuff.

If I am going to "teach or instruct in SD" I am not going to promote a particular technique or set of techniques and tell you that these will do it for you yet I will make the effort to get it into your brain that it is far more important to "recognize" a threat and that in a nutshell it would benefit you far more in SD to learn all the many ways of "good communications."

In my most recent studies there is a chapter in one that actually states emphatically that all violence is a result of bad communication or communications. This is a bold statement yet as I progress I find hints of truth that actually surprises me and makes me want to learn more so I can try my best to change my communications ability to actually get things done and "avoid conflict."

Start with:

The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense, The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense at Work, and The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense in Writing. All three may be hard to acquire yet you can find used copies in good shape to purchase for a small amount. I can truthfully say that the amount I have spent on these three books has already come back to me far more than the money spent.

Watch my posts for the future as soon as I get the book on writing, in the mail and soon, as I am going to try my best to let its teachings reflect within my blogs, web site, and group participation. I am finding more truths about myself in the communications area and in those around me. As I continue to study and "practice, practice, practice," I am finding recognition of the same in those I encounter in life.

I am also finding that explanations on why we do the things we do or should I say, why we say/write the things we do, are allowing me to "see" and "hear" with knowledge that "it is not personal."

I am not sure if I will be successful yet I feel confident that no matter what level I am able to achieve in the art of verbal SD it is something beneficial to me, my well being, and to those I am now communicating better with ... yuck that sentence is not the best yet you get my meaning, yes?

This post inspired by a post by Marc MacYoung on traditional, classical and commercialization of martial arts, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment