"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

Do You Have A Question?

If you have a question not covered in this blog feel free to send it to me at my email address, i.e. "snow" dot here "covered" dot here "bamboo" AT symbol here "gmail" dot here "com"

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Ideally, your self-defense will never get physical. Avoiding the situation and running or talking you way out - either of these is a higher order of strategy than winning a physical battle." - Wise Words of Rory Miller, Facing Violence: Chapter 7: after, subparagraph 7.1:medical

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Reader's of this Blog

Search This Blog

Are martial arts for self defense?

Yes-n-No. Yes, any martial art can be taught and utilized in self defense. No, if the instruction does not delineate between fighting/violence and self-defense/protection. I say this from an American perspective and more so due to the legal requirements of the State of California.

I read the Chiron blog about self analysis where a commenter stated a model referred to as "90-9-1." I have not researched this yet so only assume the sources are accurate, i.e. I know the parties and in all likelihood the stats are close or accurate, etc. If this is true then I suspect that what I am saying will mean nothing as 90% of us will never, ever, have to deal with self defense vs. violence/fighting.

Today, I "see" American Martial Arts, proposing a 90% of, as "a sport" and NOT self defense/protection applicable. It also comes up that most who are sport oriented tend to believe that it will be there in a violent situation. All research to date indicates that this is not true except in a very, very narrow aspect which I refer to as a "school yard scuffle." I think others refer to it as a monkey dance but not sure.

Does this mean sport martial arts cannot be also self defense? Nope, as long as it is differentiated and the intent of practice and training are distinct and diligently done in a proper manner, format, etc. It is very hard yet it can be done. I believe there are, proposing a 9% of, those martial arts dojo/instructors who have that capability and instruct/teach it well. There are also a part of that group that are professionals, i.e. actually live, breathe, and work in violent jobs, environments, etc. and they can practice and instruct, mostly, in this arena as well. Then again this is just my opinion and view and perspective ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment